The International Council for Catechesis (Co.In.Cat.) was established in 1973, under Saint Paul VI, with the aim of studying the most important issues in catechesis and encouraging the sharing of experiences between experts in the field, on the one hand, and the Apostolic See and the Episcopal Conferences, on the other.
In recent years, Co.In.Cat. has assisted the work of the Pontifical Council for the Promotion of the New Evangelization in preparing the new Directory for Catechesis and the institution of the Ministry of Catechist.
After the expiry of the term of office of the previous Council, whose work is deserving of great gratitude, Pope Francis recently approved the appointment of fifteen new Members, representative of different realities in the Church, in addition to the Superiors of the Pontifical Council for the Promotion of the New Evangelization.
LIST OF MEMBERS
In Addition to the Superiors of the
for the Promotion of the New Evangelisation
- H.E. Most Rev. Archbishop Borys Andrij Gudziak, Archbishop-Metropolitan for the Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Philadelphia (United States of America)
- H.E. Most. Rev. Archbishop Thomas Ignatius MACWAN, Metropolitan Archbishop of Gandhinagar (India), Chairman of the Commission for Catechetics of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India
- H.E. Most Rev. Archbishop José Antônio PERUZZO, Metropolitan Archbishop of Curitiba (Brazil), President of the Episcopal Commission for Biblical-Catechetical Animation of the National Conference of the Bishops of Brazil
- H.E. Rt. Rev. Mark O'TOOLE, Bishop of Plymouth (England), Chair of the Department for Evangelisation and Discipleship of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales
- Rev. Fr. Juan Carlos CARVAJAL BLANCO, Director of the Department of Theology of Evangelization and Catechesis at the San Damaso Ecclesiastical University in Madrid (Spain)
- Rev. Fr. Manuel José JIMÉNEZ RODRÍGUEZ, Director of the Coordination of Christian Initiation of the Archdiocese of Bogota (Colombia) and Professor of Catechetics at CELAM’s Centro Bíblico Teológico Pastoral para América Latina y El Caribe (Cebitepal)
- Rev. Fr. George Augustin, S.A.C., Founding Director of the Cardinal Walter Kasper Institute for Ecumenism, Theology and Spirituality and Chair of Dogmatics and Fundamental Theology at the Philosophisch-Theologische Hochschule di Vallendar (Germania)
- Rev. Fr. Salvatore CURRÒ, C.S.I., Director and Professor in the Institute of Pastoral Theology of the Faculty of Theology of the Salesian Pontifical University in Rome (Italy)
- Rev. Sister Albertine ILUNGA NKULU, F.M.A., Professor of Fundamental Catechetics at the Pontifical Faculty of Educational Sciences “Auxilium” in Rome (Italy)
- Rev. Sister María Amalia Orozco García, F.M.A., Coordinator of the National Team for Indigenous and Rural Catechesis of the Mexican Episcopal Conference
- Dr. Anne JAMIESON, Executive Director of the Ontario Institute for Catholic Education (ICE) of the Assembly of Catholic Bishops of Ontario (Canada)
- Dr. Sándor KESZELI, Professor of Religion at the University of Szeged (Hungary) and National President of the Christian Life Movement (CLM).
- Dr. Isabelle MOREL, Deputy Director of the ISPC (Institut Supérieur de Théologie Catéchétique) of the Institut Catholique in Paris (France)
- Dr. Lysander P. Rivera, President of the Association of Catechetical Centers and Colleges with Religious Education (ACCCRE) (Philippines).
- Dr. Jem Sullivan, Associate Professor of Practice in Catechetics at the School of Theology and Religious Studies of the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C. (United States of America)